Sexual Health

Learn about resources and support for sexual health.

vp welfare and equal opportunities advicevp women advice

How Student Advice can help

We can organise for you to meet our SU Womens’ Officer who will be a friendly face for you to chat to. We can come to this meeting with you for support if you feel this would help. If you have any questions or concerns and can’t find the information you are looking for here, please email us and we will try to help.

Testing for sexually transmitted diseases can take place at the:  

  • Churchill Hospital, Sexual Health Clinic (walk-ins accepted at certain times)     
  • Sexual Health Clinic on Rectory Road (limited range of services and does not offer treatment)

For more information and opening times, check


Contraception can be obtained either from your College welfare reps or through one of these community services.

The C-Card is a scheme run by the local health authority, which entitles subscribers to free condoms, dental dams, and lubricant. The supplies can be picked up from almost any pharmacy in Oxford. The NHS is eager for more students to use this service, and in every pack they supply instructions and various sizes of condoms. The C-Cards can be obtained from any sexual health clinic in Oxford.

Emergency hormonal contraception or EHC, sometimes called the ‘morning-after pill’, does not have to be taken the morning after but it will work better the sooner you take it after having sex. It is 95% effective in the first 24 hours, 85% effective in the first 48 hours, and 58% effective in the first 72 hours. If you believe you need EHC but it has been more than 72 hours, there are options available but you will need to contact a doctor or sexual health clinic.

You can receive EHC for free from:

  • GP     
  • Sexual Health Clinic     
  • Boots Pharmacy on Corn Market (if 21 and under)     
  • Marston Pharmacy on Old Marston Road (if 21 and under)     
  • Woodstock Road Chemist on Woodstock Road (if 21 and under)  

If you are over 21 you can purchase EHC from a pharmacy for various prices. You can usually be reimbursed for EHC payment through your college welfare team.

Pregnancy and abortion

The British Pregnancy Advisory Service has the most up-to-date information about abortion access. They offer unplanned pregnancy counselling and abortion treatment as well as many other specialist services. You can call BPAS to book an appointment. You will need your NHS number, which you can get from your GP. If the phonelines are closed, you can leave a message and BPAS will call you back. BPAS understand the need for confidentiality and have a legal duty to protect your privacy. - 03457 304050


Book an SU Advice appointment

Student Advice is the only independent advice and information service exclusively available to Oxford University Students. Our advisors are working remotely at the moment due to the outbreak of Covid-19 and are offering advice by email. We will do our best to reply to you within 2 working days. You can call us during term time. Please also check here updates to our service.

Advice on the Phone (term time only)

10.30am-12.30pm - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in term time.

Call an advisor 07436225637 or 07436225630. We'll have an initial chat with you about what you need.