University life can be fun and it can be stressful. Take care of yourself and your wellbeing.

vp welfare and equal opportunities advice

Looking out for your wellbeing and health

Studying at Oxford can be a stressful experience at times. On top of the academic requirements, there are the complexities of the collegiate system, and learning to manage adult life away from home often for the first time.

In order for you to get the most out of your studies and have a happy and healthy experience at Oxford, looking out for your wellbeing and health is really important. Student Advice are always here if you need a chat about how to find support. You can Email Us to book a Talk-it-Through appointment and we can help you to find the right support.

If you would like support and you’re not sure where to start, you can contact Student Advice to find out what your options might be. Students often come to us to talk about feeling lonely or isolated, if they are worried about a friend's wellbeing, missing home, concerned about mental health, academic progress and workload, and any other topic which is concerning them.

Talk to someone – there are lots services available who can offer help. You could visit your GP and let them know how you’re feeling. You could talk to your College welfare team (details are usually in the College handbook or on the College website). Or you could contact the University Counselling Service, who also have a lot of support resources on their page.


University of Oxford: Counselling and mental health

Togtherall: a free support service for Oxford students. To join, register under "I'm from a university or college" with your Oxford e-mail address. Togetherall

Student Space: Has dedicated support services for students, by phone, email or text: Home (

The NHS's Every Mind Matters: provides free advice for looking after your mental health. Every Mind Matters - NHS (

Student Minds: Offers peer support, a range of support services, and resources. Student Minds - Home

If you are feeling distressed right now and need to talk to someone, you could call the Samaritans, who offer a free 24/7 service: Contact Us | Samaritans

For peer support: Finding a Peer Supporter | University of Oxford

Our Peer Support Programmes - Student Minds

For help with estrangement from family: Estranged students | University of Oxford

For help with changes in student status: Changes in student status | University of Oxford

If you need medical advice you can book an emergency appointment with your GP or call NHS 111.

If you need immediate medical help or attention you can call 999 or visit Accident and Emergency (A&E). When to go to A&E - NHS (

Here are some resources for survivors of domestic abuse:

Getting help for domestic violence and abuse - NHS (

Reducing the Risk | Dedicated to the safety of adults and children at risk of domestic abuse

Refuge Against Domestic Violence - Help for women & children.

Karma Nirvana for support against honour based abuse.

For help with sexual violence:

Oxfordshire Sexual Abuse and Rape Crisis Centre (



Book an SU Advice appointment

Student Advice is the only independent advice and information service exclusively available to Oxford University Students. Our advisors are working remotely at the moment due to the outbreak of Covid-19 and are offering advice by email. We will do our best to reply to you within 2 working days. You can call us during term time. Please also check here updates to our service.

Advice on the Phone (term time only)

10.30am-12.30pm - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in term time.

Call an advisor 07436225637 or 07436225630. We'll have an initial chat with you about what you need.